  From: ddailey
  To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [svg-developers] Re: Looking for that great drag node and edge
example

  Hi Tak,

  In that example, I've used Nodes=new Array() as a place to store each node,
which is of the form
  function Node(x,y,id,label,col){
  this.x=x
  this.y=y
  this.id=id
  this.label=label
  this.col=col
  this.links=new Array()
  this.info=label
  }
  that is, the information about which nodes a given node is connected to is
stored in an array of its own links. I find it easier to store what is called
an incidence matrix rather than an adjacency matrix (as some sort of sparse
matrix) since the graph is being constructed on the fly and we don't know how
big it will be. Each time a pair of nodes is connected, the links array of each
is updated.

  In terms of storing the structure, yes, one would have to serialize it by
somehow converting that JavaScript object back to something saveable.
  A more fully implemented version of this was done using VML several years ago
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/grapher/ . (earlier versions were
written in hyperTalk, CMUTutor and Java/awt. It has heuristics for coloring and
dominating sets, as well as shortest path algorithms, complements, copying,
pasting, extruding and so forth. It also (running only in IE) takes advantage
of ActiveX to do document.execCommand('SaveAs',false, '.xml') so that files may
be written to (and later retrieved from) local file space -- something web apps
rather need and which HTML5 WG seems reluctant to implement. So in the
meantime, yes one would have to package up the content and ship it somewhere to
a server and then build a file browser on the server so that the local web app
could later retrieve its data.

  Hope this helps
  David