Sam,

It's great to see SVG being used in an educational setting,
congratulations.

had you considered Opera and Safari?

did you consider accessibility when abandoning SMIL?
for instance your controls do not appear to be keyboard navigable.
had you considered WAI-ARIA

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

[EMAIL PROTECTED]