Hello,

everyone who publishes online comics in SVG format might be
interested in this. My comic lettering font, Tomson Talks, is now
available from the Open Font Library at
http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/skotan/310

It is licensed under the SIL Open Font License. There are a lot of
freely available comic fonts on the web, but I couldn't find any
which are
firstly also free for commercial use, and
secondly under a license which clearly allows me to convert them to
SVG fonts and include them by reference (of which I'm not sure
whether or not it can be considered to be legally the same as
embedding the font),
so, since font design is fun, I decided to make my own comic font.

When using the same font in multiple documents storing it in an
external file and referencing it would reduce bandwidth use; even
more so for user agents which don't even support SVG fonts. I could
be wrong now, but I think Opera and Batik Squiggle are the only user
agents currently supporting externally referenced SVG fonts. However,
that's not a reason not to use this feature. Let's give other
developers a reason to add support.

Editing the outlines and the kerning was all done with SVG+Javascript
based tools. I have yet to find another solution which would allow me
to use the full range of path segments available in SVG.

I mostly used elliptic arcs for line endings and quadratic bezier
curves for almost straight lines, allowing for more compact outline
representations than if I had to trace the whole outlines with cubic
bezier curves.

Note that some double consonants (like double T) are implemented as
extra glyphs, and that the few accented characters which are included
are not derived from their unaccented counterparts. All to make the
font look less regular, more like hand lettered.

Regards

  Frank