I am trying to determine the exact state of SVG support in Internet Explorer
6, 7 and 8 and beyond.

It seems that for IE 6 and 7 there is only Adobe SVG Viewer which, according
to Adobe, is not going to be around beyond 2009 and may indeed not even be
available after then for downloading.  There was some talk that IE 8 would
include native SVG support but clearly the rise of Silverlight has blown
away that idea in a classic Microsoft "You will use only our technology"
move.

So where does that leave SVG developers?  Is it a major concern that SVG
support in what is by far the most popular browser may only exist until
2009?  Almost all the other major browser vendors are ramping up their SVG
support in a positive move and perhaps this will increase the market
position of those browsers but we can't escape the fact that most people out
there are using IE.

Any comments?  Perhaps there are other SVG support environments for IE that
I don't know about?

Thanks,

-JCT