Right, my hypothesis is:
 - since FF3 doesn't handle svg's animation (or SMIL if you will) elements they
become unknown XML elements in the DOM
 - as a consequence the 'id' attribute isn't on an svg element that FF3 knows,
and therefore is not thought to be of type ID => it's handled as any other
unknown attribute

Or in other words, what you wrote :)

Cheers
/Erik