Over the last few weeks, I've been doing some performance testing of
the SVG display tools I currently have access to. While I don't have
conclusive results yet, some of my results have surprised me.

The last time I tried anything close to this, browser results were
pretty bad. But the current results are much better than expected.

I'm showing the 1.8 pre-release of Squiggle (Batik) is by far the
fastest (by a factor of 2 to 4) for the kinds of tests I'm doing. What
I found really surprising is that Firefox 3.03 is currently a little
faster than Opera 9.6 in my tests.

I'm running my tests on a 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo running Linux. The SVG
files I'm testing are instrumented versions of
http://anomaly.org/wade/projects/svgplay/wuse.svg and
http://anomaly.org/wade/projects/instruments/Instruments.svg

I'm currently trying to generate something resembling a reasonable
summary of the information including documenting my methodology and
tools. I'd also like to add more display applications to the mix to get
more of an idea of relative performance. (Unfortunately, Chrome is
still not available under Linux.<shrug/>)

G. Wade
--
Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'fact'.