Sorry (especially to David Dailey) for the long (7-week) delay in
responding to this important topic.

I would like to confirm that in my experience, HTML-Kit works fine for
editing and previewing SVG, both directly and via an <object> embed in
an HTML document. However, its preview works via IE, and there are
various tweaks that might need to be done (via IE's "Internet Options")
to get it working. For example, the caching setting needs to be set to
"auto" and there is the notorious "allow active content" option which,
however it is set, seems to be designed to drive people into the arms of
Opera or Firefox. I'm fairly sure that the "syntax error" problem arises
from SVGs with script content falling foul of this latter setting. I
have asked on the HTML-Kit newsgroup whether anyone else has had trouble
with this, and will report any useful feedback.

In the new (alpha/beta) version of HTML-Kit Tools (which is not free,
but IMHO modestly priced considering the amount of work that is going
into it and the level of support provided), there is a facility to
launch a dynamically-updated browser window that will "watch" changes on
the document source.

Under Linux I've taken to using Komodo Edit, which is free, open source
and included in (at least) the Ubuntu distribution. Again this seems an
excellent tool for hand-editing SVG and it supports preview well - and,
moreover, a really good all-round programmers' editor. There is a
windows version of Komodo Edit, which I've installed and used but not
played around with much as yet. I'd be interested to hear what others
think of it. See

http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml

CPKS

[Non-text portions of this message have not been removed, because there
weren't any.]