On 10-11-08 06:07 AM, ddailey wrote:

> The concept of "how best" to write something got me wondering about
> the following.
>
> Using an alphabet or a syllabary (like most of the languages of the
> world excepting Chinese, Japanese, Mayan, and a few hundred others)
> how much "space" does it take to convey our meaning.*
>
> Here's the question: if we relax the rules of English orthography just
> a bit, so that instead of writing from left to write, we write from
> left to right, or downward, or inward (by allowing glyphs to be
> "inside" one another) , can we write legibly in less space?
>
> http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/canonical.svg
> <http://granite.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/canonical.svg>
>
> This link shows a way of packing letters into a space under the
> relaxed rules of right-or-down-or-inside.
>
> If we confine legibility by some empirically defined threshold on the
> minimum size of a glyph, then if we allow physics to constrain the two
> dimensional placement of our glyphs, subject to rotation scaling and
> translation, to pack tightly, then can we find ways of expressing
> English (or another language using some alphabet) using less space
> than by writing simply unidirectionally?

That's pretty interesting. I think there's a bit of work from the field
of visual modelling that might be useful and relevant here. For one
thing, it would probably be useful to formally define a notion of
"insideness" in the language definition of your graphical language (the
"abstract syntax of the concrete syntax", in use modelling parlance). In
your language definition, you would probably say that each glyph may
have some region in which other glyphs may be placed, and that doing so
has some relation to the abstract syntax, or the structure of the
language. You may also define some constraints in terms of layout in the
language definition.

You can see some similar work has been done here:
http://msdl.cs.mcgill.ca/people/hv/teaching/MSBDesign/notes.ClassificationFrameworkVisualLanguages.pdf

The author discusses classes of visual language, including
"geometry-based languages", in which the meaning of the relationships
between elements is primarily expressed in terms of their geometric
properties (e.g. position relative to one another in the coordinate
system, but I suppose this could be generalized). This includes a formal
notion of "insideness" (see page 10, definition of ULinclude).

Once you have formally defined the notion of "insideness" for your
language, and have defined the special "inside" region for each element
of your language (each glyph), and the special relationships between
each element in the language, then it may be possible to begin applying
existing layout algorithms, again perhaps from the domain of visual
modelling languages. I'm thinking Harel's paper "An algorithm for blob
hierarchy layout", while not completely relevant, might be an
interesting place to start as a model for examining the efficacy of a
particular layout for a particular graphical language:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=345240

There would be many ways of analyzing such algorithms, including
usability/readability, and space-efficiency.

Jake