This is an unfortunate missing design from SVG, and something we are going to
address in the next specifiation either of SVG or DOML2.  In fact we talked
about it in Lyon, FR a few weeks ago.

JWatt has made a nice proposal:
http://jwatt.org/svg/tmp/mouse-relative-positioning.svg

There are issues with where it belongs, but the implementation under the covers
should work for what you are trying to accmomplish (though I think the beta of
IE9 is not quite doing the right there here)