Hi Kenneth,

Using Opera, Safari, Firefox and IE+ASV in Windows, I don't see anything that I
would not be willing to attribute to retinal effects caused by the close
superimposition of red and blue (two mutually unfocusable colors according to
one of my undergrad intro psych texts -- I don't recall the neurological
explanation, but something to do with habituation of cones and over-excitation
of bipolar cells being dampened by ganglion cells): namely the hint of a
magenta afterimage just south of the border of the colors and the hint of a
cyan afterimage just to the north, together with some waivering bands of
horizontal movement I would attribute to saccadic movement and fixation. What I
see is similar to the bitmaps at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Haiti

My Haitian sister says the colors ought to migrate a bit more (red towards
magenta and blue toward purple)???

I don't know if official national designations of flag colors come in sRGB
space or if they are registered with some hypothetical UN color space, or
Pantone or whatever. Chris Lilley probably knows.

But the antialiasing phenomenon you describe is not something I can see in my
browsers. Maybe a screen shot would be worth sending? Or, there are lots of Mac
users here who might be able to replicate what you're seeing. The SVG code
you've written looks appropriate to me.

good luck
David