Indeed and while IE usage worldwide is dropping rapidly, mostly in favour of
Chrome (for good reasons) it will still be many years before IE<9 drops to < 5%
of the market, which is the point at which most developers would cut it loose.

See http://gs.statcounter.com/

IE is currently about 46% of the global market. It has lost around 10% in the
last 12 months. Even if that rate continued (it won't as it tails off) we'll
still have it hanging around (like the proverbial bad smell) for 4 long years.

Note that IE9 doesn't yet appear in the stats, which is not all that surprising
as it's still in beta, so, don't get excited about accessing it's features any
time soon. It being only available to Win7 users will also mean it's stats will
forever be linked to Win7 take-up, which is solid but will take many years to
supplant XP.

Guy