Francis Hemsher wrote:

>OK, show me a SMIL animation. I'll present comparable JavaScript that will
do the same, but better.

Okay, give these four a try:

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2010/replicate.htm (Opera,
Chrome, Firefox, or IE/ASV)

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/tribraids9.svg (Firefox, Opera,
or IE/ASV )

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/swatch3.svg  (Firefox, Opera or
IE/ASV )

http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/animoval88.svg (Opera, IE/ASV or Chrome
)

Better yet, rather than spend the energy doing these (the last one in
particular will be fun), why not devote similar energies into enhancing
either FakeSMIL or SMILScript (or helping to convince our friends at
Microsoft to do so), so that authors who don’t want to spend the 7x
investment of time writing JavaScript instead of SMIL won’t have to.

It is not just that SMIL is substantially easier to write (which translates
into precious programmer time), but that the methods are tractable to a far
larger group of individuals, like artists and animators who may not be
programmers. It is also available to perhaps a few hundred million mobile
devices that support SMIL but not script.

Heck, with the reasoning that web developers should all just use programming
instead of declarative methods, then SVG should be phased out in favor of
HTML5:canvas. HTML, SMIL, SVG and replicate all share the philosophy that
productivity is enhanced by letting people tell machines what they want to
be done and letting the software figure out how to do it. Thus far, this
strategy seems to have worked for HTML and SVG – now that all major browsers
(minus one) finally handle most SMIL[1] (until a year or two ago it required
either a plugin or Opera to handle most SMIL) I hope we’ll start seeing SMIL
proliferate.  All the more so once it starts permeating Wikipedia.

On the other hand, I don’t believe that all effects available to the
programmer can be done with the current SVG SMIL spec  [2].  I do retain
some perhaps naive optimism that SVG SMIL will continue some degree of
steady growth within SVG 2.0, including such about a dozen things on the SVG
Working Group’s agenda for consideration [3]. And although some people from
the WHATWG camp seem to have lost confidence in the W3C’s decision making
process, I really don’t believe that the Working Group would have solicited
public feedback on SVG 2, if decisions on what it would look like had
already been made in a smoke filled room.

Regards,

David

[1]The examples above are not representative of most SMIL, being something
rather like torture tests, and not working in all five major implementations
(Chrome, Safari, Opera, Firefox and ASV) . They might be considered as “Acid
tests,” except that the browser manufacturers seem to have monopolized
control of those – a curious development ¿que no?

[2] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/svgprimer.html#why_script

[3]
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Mailing_List_Feedba
ck