HTML5 is very nice! It is still not 100% but everything fails pretty
gracefully. The most annoying thing is the mentioned file format support with
audio/video but the tags have the ability to contain multiple sources; so
basically you're wasting drive space since you have to have two video files per
tag. You can also include a Flash player to fall back on within these tags to
cater to old browsers.

Websockets are gonna pretty much revolutionize web services and, as far as I
know, all browsers currently support them.

Having an SQL DB to replace cookies is also pretty big. Haven't messed with
this much yet but plan to in the coming weeks.

<canvas> is cool for JavaScript animations and of course we have SVG too!

Overall I really like the spec and support is getting better daily.