--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

> At 14:31 +0000 28/9/11, Donna wrote:
>
> >I have the following SVG image -
> >http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11087865/Cleveland.svg
> >
> >This looks fine in Chromium, but it does not look so fine in Chrome.
> >It is important that this image looks good in both these browers (I
> >don't need to care about any other's due to the nature of its use).
> >
> >I've been playing around with different things inside the SVG file
> >itself, but it seems that any changes I make fixes one browser but
> >breaks the other.
>
> How are you going to be able to solve the problem when it is Adobe
> Illustrator that is writing the SVG code?  The mess that this has
> created using 15,000 bytes could easily be solved by writing the SVG
> properly using less than a tenth of the space.  There a very few
> elements on the drawing and each of these can be written as a path in
> two lines at the very most.  Besides that you could get rid of all
> the ugly discontinuities in the drawing.  The essence of you drawing
> is simply lines and curves and arcs and these should be smooth and
> continuous at whatever size you view it, but the way it is done it is
> hardly any better than a bit-map image.
>
> I have nothing to do with these graphics programmes and when I look
> at the frightful output I have no doubt they serve no purpose at all
> and give SVG a bad name.  It's no better than the bloated html
> generated by Microsoft programs.
>
> For example the large orange figure in your drawing requires no more
> code than (very roughly) this, which is 143 bytes including the line
> feeds:
>
> <path d="M 0 0 v38.6
> a 32 32 0 0 0 32.5 -23
> a 35 9 0 0 1 -8.5 -4.5
> l -5.2 -8.6
> a 2 2 0 0 1 -1 -1.8
> l -.3 -.7
> z"
> fill="#FF9955"
> stroke="none" />
>
> and suppose you have ten figures composing the drawing, some of which
> can be drawn even more simply, then you have only a kilobyte of SVG
> code for the drawing itself.
>
> JD

You're certainly right, hand coded SVG is virtually always cleaner, smaller and
more precise.  But not everyone has the skills, time and nerves to do it, and I
doubt it's sensible in every case.

This image seems to be an automatically vectorized raster image.  There is
another one on Wikipedia[1] that was obviously redrawn by hand (not hand coded,
hand drawn in Inkscape).  It's slightly different, but much more detailed and
precise and larger.  Inkscape has the option to resave as "Optimized SVG" if
size matters.  The question is whether this SVG can legally be used in the OP's
context.

Thomas W.

[1]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Cleveland_Browns_helmet_rightface.svg