Howdy Andrew

As far as your cookies situation , might I suggest
the HTML5 localStorage feature.

I've found the feature to be a lot more useful
than traditional cookies.

Of course one of the things I did early on
was to add a couple of extra functions to the storage prototype,
so that I could more easily stash objects.

Storage.prototype.setObject = function(key, value)
     {
     this.setItem(key, JSON.stringify(value));
     }
Storage.prototype.getObject = function(key)
     {
var    szItem        =this.getItem(key)    ;// Attempt to fetch the
object from local storage
     if(szItem    ==null)return null    ;// If null , bail

     try    {
         var    oResult=    JSON.parse(this.getItem(key))
         return oResult     ;// Parse the string to an object.
         }catch(oError){
         return null;
         }// End Try/Catch
     }