Sure now, the simple demo is an echo server; which is not such a good demo for
websockets. Echo is a request-response operation - which is obviously not the
advancement websockets provide. It's what other demos did, because building an
echo takes no time or effort. I've been too busy with the tech. framework to
build apps. - even better demo apps.

It means I can use websockets to construct or modify web pages without renewing
the page and this could lead to a better demo that's easy to build.

I like anything that allows me to inject into web pages without renewing the
whole page (or frame) like other techniques require. I actually hate watching
the whole page renew for some small change in page content. I've been saying
that websockets will allow the browser to operate as an interface for real
applications. Now it's becoming clear to me that I can think of the browser
more like any other application component, but one with a lot of support for
display.

I suppose I didn't think of this before because my mind has become so heavily
trained to focus on one thing at a time to get through the load of technical
details I have to do. And the real-world model I've been keeping in my head has
to do with robot control and a robot and reporting things back to the browser /
operator. I've been working with that example for years and have always done
all the dHTML control in JavaScript in the browser with text messages from the
robot to provide any data the robot wanted to send.

I guess I can understand why you might think it odd that I was surprised by
what the browser did. It's something I've done in dHTML / JavaScript many times
before. But the dHTML interface ("framework") in the demo is extremely simple,
general, generic. This leads me to think I can go farther in creating a
reusuable web page ("framework") and keep all the application specific logic in
dynamically selectable "expert" components (HLL style). I'll stop now, instead
of writing whole new design and project documents.

Not sure I really got my point across. I suppose I should not have been
surprised in the first place and the effect has to do with a lot of stuff in my
head that I've wanted to do and why I've been so enthusiastic about websockets
that I'm not sure I can briefly explain without giving a lot of thought to how
to explain it.