Yes, thanks Erik, that seems to do it (except for IE9 where the line-breaks
still persist).

I cleaned up the code a bit (using <use>) and updated the example at
http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/V12.svg

The example that is second from the left in the bottom row conveys something
I’ve been thinking about for some time: would there be a canonical set of
pattern primitives which when combined could give a tactile substitution for
color for those who can’t see the colors? It is related to what I call
“geometric accessibility.” In a textual language like HTML, the semantics is
text, while in a visual language like SVG, the semantics is graphical
(something to think about when we decide which attributes should be style-able
and use-able).

Might the use of Braille characters for the glyphs in the figure at bottom left
provide better semantic labeling of the regions of overlap? Well it seems like
the dot frequencies of the Braille together with the pattern harmonics would
set up interference that would just be “noisy” in the tactile realm, hence the
idea that something like the superimposition of patterns (in the one to its
right) might remedy.

So, in some basic psychophysical sense (a la Weber, Helmhotz, Fechner and S. S.
Stevens) are there a set of maximally distinguishable simple glyphs, which
could be used in patterns to show intersections of overlapping regions in a way
which maximizes similarity between regions and subregions, while maximizing
differences between the 2^n subregions of a given Venn diagram. Such would, I
suppose, be old hat to those familiar with Ian McHarg’s work
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McHarg#Design_with_Nature ) but to an
non-cartographer like me, the questions are, at once, fundamental and
intriguing.  And I rather doubt that the problem has been “solved” in the sense
of solving the relevant psychophysical differential equations.

Cheers

David