> It's quite possible to work around that issue for your use-case. See some
> examples here:
>
>      http://xn--dahlstrm-t4a.net/svg/filters/anaglyph/static/
>
> The example anaglyphs there work in Inkscape, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and
> IE10.
>
> Hope this helps

Sorry for the delay in replying, but thank you so much Eric, it helps
enormously!  Thank you.

> What you have found is that the 'BackgroundImage' keyword in the filter
> input attributes (in, in2) isn't well implemented in browsers.
I suspected that because I had some trouble with that in Chrome.  If you look
at the "drawing.svg" example or "composite_clean.svg" though, I wasn't using it.

Nevertheless, I have my compatible solution for which I am grateful.

> However, it seems that Chrome 20 consistently renders it too light,
> which causes it to be a little bit less vivid than it should be. All the
> other browsers render it the same though.

Can I assume that other relevant SVG-bigwigs such as yourself will see this or
should I post some bug reports somewhere?  Is there a fault in the assembly or
syntax of "drawing.svg" to explain why it doesn't work with Opera?