Last year at SVG Open I demonstrated a bunch of text effects:

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/ (many of which only work
well in Opera, owing to the budget crisis in the US I suppose – how else
could one explain it?)

included were some that involved rolling bubbles through text and/or
deforming the text as they move with feDisplacement

Anyhow, many of the effects would work in Firefox if only they supported
textLength and lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs" –

This year, I thought I’d rework one of them to at least work in two browsers
(since in theory the rest of the world will catch up at some point in time,
¿que no?

So I chose one of the simpler ones (not using feDisplacement) at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/bubblesc.svg

(Firefox behaves spectacularly bad for this example so it seems like a good
one to target)

While I was at it, I figured that I’d strip out all the script and rewrite
it with entirely declarative methods since 100% of the world’s population
can write markup (apparently, based on HTML’s success) and only .1% of those
can program (based on the success of computer science programs at least in
the US).

So the example at http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/bubbles8R.svg gets the
bubbly concoction down to a lean and mean 41 lines of markup, using, of
course, <replicate> and <random> to spread the bubbles across the text and
give them distinct  speeds.

In order to make it respectable though in FF I had to strip out the fancy
text handling and instead applied at transform=scale(.25,1) to squeeze the
text down to make it look marginally bubbly – text length and lengthAdjust
give us assurance that text will fit a device, so they are crucial for
accessibility and federal laws in 48 countries and all, you know?

http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/bubbles8R2.svg shows the result.

Anyhow what happened there, is that the pattern I used to fill the text with
gradient and bubbles, (keeping the  text as text you know: for
accessibility) then got squashed as well as the text. So I had to enter the
<pattern> tag and put all the content in a group that then was scaled
transform=scale(4,1) to counteract the scaling on the text.

Does anyone know a good way to make patterns independent of the object to
which their applied?

patternUnits="objectBoundingBox" seems to make things worse, but maybe I’m
not seeing clearly.

Thanks in advance

David