Hi Jerry,

At http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/font_effects_JM_IE9.jpg you can see what it looks
like in IE9 – yet one more interpretation.

I think part of this has to do with word-spacing and line height.

The only way I could get text to scale properly to a viewBox (and hence to
scale in a device-independent way) for most of the examples at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/  was to set textLength and use
lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs" Firefox, seems to be lagging quite behind in
its support of the advanced text handling features of SVG1.1 which is why, I
gather, they are recommending that support for text, at least in the form of
SVG fonts be dropped from SVG2.0, in the name of progress, I suppose. It
remains to be seen if all other aspects of advanced text handling will be
dropped from SVG. Part of it, I gather, is that the HTML CSS crowd have
discovered how cool SVG effects are and they want to apply them to HTML even if
it means trashing SVG in the process. I suppose some, but not all members of
the SVG WG might have reason to disagree with my pessimism.

In your play with fonts, you might enjoy this subset of the open font Symbola,
available as both glyphs and paths at

http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/SymbolaB1.svg  -- the entire emoji Unicode plus
some emojiPlus characters are there.

In Firefox, you will see radically different versions of things using the same
version of Firefox in the same OS, but on different machines since it seems
intent on pulling from installed system fonts rather than relying on path data;

The score card for browsers support of SVG fonts can be seen at
http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers/message/65934

Many of the SVG WG seem not to know this information, so please don’t tell them
;) It will be our secret.

David