Thanks for the comments, Jason. If you started a mere 30 years ago, then I'm
probably older than you are. :)
This is just my first webshop, not my first time at a barn dance. Speaking of,
"they just don't make 'em like they used to":
-     I did the whole thing myself and my IDE was Notepad. It's like, the way
they build a Rolls Royce.
I pretty much do everything I possibly can with Java SE, creating fast,
efficient code with a very small footprint. The last significant thing I did
was to build a full-fledged Websocket server that you can run on your
cell-phone (or on a big whopping machine if you want ... I'm just sayin' full
functionality with a small footprint).
In the webshop, lots of functionality has been pushed out to the browser,
distributing some of the processing load to the users' machines and speeding up
some operations for them no matter where they are. It's all really fast, except
for whatever wait and transfer times there are on the users' Internet
connections, so that's a plus. Running local has pretty much no wait times ...
I even preload product images when I can get away with it. (Works pretty well
when there's more than one "unique item" with the same name ... first one might
take Internet time, but the rest load too. ... )

I've spent a lot of time in Chrome, but Firefox has a better implementation of
datalist. Chrome searches as you type from the beginning of the option text.
Firefox will find your search string anywhere ... so, if someone is looking for
a Sachs motor part, Typing 'Sachs' in Firefox gives them everything with Sachs
in it while Chrome responds with only those options that begin with Sachs. IE10
doesn't do anything, so I'm going to shut down the datalist for v10 the same
way I have for v9. Anyone with an older IE version gets sent directly to the
help page where they are given instructions to download a better browser.

I'm excited and happy about the new level of support for standards, but we're
not quite at the point where browser differences are no longer a problem.
Microsoft is still the biggest pain in the butt, but I think we're far enough
along where it's time they either get with the program or they can't play.
Google Chrome Frame doesn't seem to solve the problem, so I'm thinking
Microsoft ripped us off there too ... and themselves.

BTW: The best answer I know of so far re: font differences is google fonts. I'm
actually using google fonts on the webshop main page after seeing them load
fast enough to be acceptable. (In my trials, they seemed to load very fast.)
But there's a need for very very interesting fonts that match the spirit of the
business on the big buttons and I just wasn't successful getting any sort of
match that worked. What looked good in one browser was nothing but a smashed
together blob in another.