THANK YOU! I'm VERY happy of what you taught me - albeit embarrassed.

I now realize that I misinterpreted the meaning behind the Path @ref specs
"Allows
for an *external* definition of this path item. "

I actually had encountered these seemingly weird ~0 and ~1 "escapes" in my
readings, but never recognized them as anything related to JavaScript, XML,
URI or other familiar escaping schemes, or at least anything intuitive -
and thus it never really sank in.

But thanks to your practical example, I finally perused the JSON specs on
pointers (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6901#page-3) - and I finally
appreciate the necessity of escaping these two characters when used in
pointers.

This solves my application problem!