Side item on that note... I've seen games that were uploaded hacked so
badly they bore little resemblance to the originals.  Sadly, I bet people
who look to contribute see a title up on a site, and never check it (why
bother?)  The worst one's I've personally experienced:

Captain Goodnight (and the Isles of Fear): You have 20 hours to beat the
game.  Its permanently hacked to 99, which removes any and all challenge.

Prince of Persia: The hacker added additional rooms of his design to the
screen *after* you defeat Jaffar.  You have to get past them to win, and you
can't skip them.

Moebius: Title screen gone, keys totally remapped, new keys added, maps
changed, combat system totally redone, and mysteriously its only 1 disk
instead of two.  Granted, its masterful that someone dug into a game that
much that they could deconstruct it so completely, but ug... why this one?!

(Tangent on the side item: this is one of my favorite games of all time.  I
wear the bandanna (a game prop/trinket) and a black cape when I play it.
There are yin-yang symbols on my walls.  I have a statue to Greg Malone in
my closet.  I made an MP3 out of the 1-bit speaker music and listen to it
constantly.  And for the life of me, I've been through 3 sets of disks with
2 more on the way, and have still been unable to get a complete set that
works.  I wonder if they used a cheap batch for this or something...)

    Anyway, if I had a point to all this, it'd have to be that sometimes you
want to play an old game and an undoctored download is not to be found
(that's what actually started me on my most recent binge... why couldn't
"Black Magic" work?)

Dan