EA, MacDonalds, and now Windows... you're scaring me, Hugh! ;)

>I'm not thrilled with everything about Windows; however, as a gamer...I
>don't see how you can't think Windows 95 and later made life MUCH better.

No, it hasn't. As a gamer, I'd rather have one of the old OSes that
wouldn't crash.

>Once Win 95 was adopted by game developers, and games were written (well)
>under it, gaming became so much easier.

a) The percentage of games written well under Windows is way lower than the
ones written well for DOS. b) Sometimes it's not the problem of the games
itself, they crash because of Windows itself.

>I still remember the bad old days
>of having multiple boot disks, QEMM, and a reconfig program....ugh...that
>was really a crappy way to game (having come from the ST, Amiga, Mac
world).

Multiple bootdisks?! Qemm?! DOS 6 (and 6.2, and 6.22) made those things
obsolete. I could play any computer game on DOS 6.2 (my favorite), with the
multiple-boot menus, and had no need for 3rd party software.

>Once 95 became the standard, things for gamers got much
better...peripherals
>(rudder pedals, steering wheels, etc)

That has nothing to do with Windows 95. If Windows 95 had never existed,
and if we were all using, for example, OS/2, BeOS, Linux, etc, we'd still
have rudders, wheels etc.

Besides, there have always been different and innovative (I have began to
hate this word) peripherals since the dawn of computers

>also become much easier to deal with...gotta love Plug and Play.

Oh, Plug 'n' Play, that thing that works perfectly on Linuxes like Mandrake
8.0 but seem to crash or wrongly recognize hardware in Windows? 0:)

>To me, it sounds like another example of the "good old days" not being
that good.  Certainly from a gamer's
>perspective.

Sorry Hugh, I still think that the good old days were much better. At least
our standard OS was stable, and so were games.

>Hugh

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

          "Hugh Falk"

          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          16/11/01 14:13

          Solicita-se resposta a

          swcollect                      Para: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                          A/C:

                                          Ref:

                                          cc:

                                        Assunto: RE: OT Gates (was: [SWCollect] Rogue
(was Killer Games (was Soccer
                                        Games  (was shock))))

I'm not thrilled with everything about Windows; however, as a gamer...I
don't see how you can't think Windows 95 and later made life MUCH better.
Once Win 95 was adopted by game developers, and games were written (well)
under it, gaming became so much easier.  I still remember the bad old days
of having multiple boot disks, QEMM, and a reconfig program....ugh...that
was really a crappy way to game (having come from the ST, Amiga, Mac
world).
Once 95 became the standard, things for gamers got much
better...peripherals
(rudder pedals, steering wheels, etc) also become much easier to deal
with...gotta love Plug and Play.  To me, it sounds like another example of