Jim Leonard wrote
>Pedro Quaresma wrote:
>
> (OT: Hi Stephen, nice to hear from you again)
>
> I apologize for my ignorance, but is the Roland sound much different from
> SB AWE64 emulating the Roland on Windows?

>YES!  The Roland MT-32/LAPC-1 was programmable, whereas wavetable
emulation is
>not.  Sierra games in particular really took advantage of this fact; they
threw
>out all of the default instruments and programmed their own.  (On an
MT-32, you
>can even see custom messages in the instrument window!).  U6 definitely
sounds
>best on an MT-32 -- that's where the music was composed originally, and
all
>other versions (Adlib, Tandy, etc.) were derived from the MT-32
soundtrack.

OK, I sincerely apologize for bringing this up again, but you all have a
vast knowledge on this subject that I cannot easily find anywhere else. And
yes, I've been trying. :)

I am seriously considering getting myself a MT32 (Question 1: There are no
PCI LAPC-1, right?), but I wanted to use my "modern" box with it. (Question
2: Will a fast machine or recent OS be a problem?). I'm assuming I'll have
to connect the MT32 "somewhere", I'm guessing to the MIDI port of my
soundcard (Question 3: Will the midi port of my SB PCI64 do the trick?).

If I'm lucky, then the "only" problem I have will be getting one MT32,
which I'm guessing won't be easy on this side of the ocean...

Thank you,
P.

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]