Origin Museum schrieb:

> 1.  C.E. and I got into a long discussion on how we store our collections.  We
>agreed that plastic baggies were a 'short-term' solution, and tried to think up
>another (better) way to preserve our software for the long haul.  We agreed on the
>idea that if we could find some sort of inexpensive, clear, plastic box of the
>clamshell variety, that would be ideal.  I searched the net for anything that would
>match that description, but came up empty.  We thought that if we could have a custom
>box made to a software collector's exacting specifications, we may be able to have a
>plastics manufacturer actually create our 'software collector's box in a limited run!
> So, here are the questions:

I already ventured into the idea of preservation some time last year and
read some articles on how libraries and antiquaries preserve books. From
what I read putting the boxes, which basically are cardboard and paper,
into plastic boxes might prove fatal. According to the Library of
Congress air circulation should be present:

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/presfaq.html

If you'd want to pay $1.50 for a plastic shell and order an amount of
1000, you'd might in the long run be better off to invest the money into
a humidity and temperature controller, provided you have an extra room
for your collection.

> 2.  C.E. and I also spoke of the possibility of a software collector's 'meet and
>greet' at an agreed upon event.  We could get together to swap stories, share a meal,
>and perhaps even bring along some of our prized collectibles to show to each other!
>The Philly Classic in Philadelphia this March, or Dragon*Con in Atlanta this August
>could be possible locations.  I assume that some of you would be interested in seeing
>the Museum's original Akalabeth, or our genuine Wing Commander Kilrathi head!  If we
>could make this happen, we could all at least go home with a ROMERO autograph (for a
>nomial fee, perhaps?)  ;)
> Please let me hear some ideas on locations, dates, and enthusiasms for an idea like
>this.
> Would YOU attend?

I'd love to attend, but I'm in Germany, which is a little far off for
the occasion.

Marco