Lee K. Seitz wrote:

Found the manual (but no disk) for RobotWar by Muse Software for the
Apple II today.  I wasn't familiar with it, but I saw similar programs
back in the early '90s (P-Robots (as in Pascal) and C-Robots).  Was
this the original game of this genre that gave rise to all the rest?

I believe C-robots predates it, but if memory serves, the original version (possibly late 1970s/early 1980s) was a made-up assembly language that allowed about eight instructions and maybe one or two registers. One of those games popular on mainframes, etc.

I'm sure there's some page out there with all this history; sorry mine is so foggy.

BTW, Silas Warner (the programmer/designer who also happened to write
some game called Castle Wolfenstein 8) ), was ridiculously easy to
track down:  http://pwp.value.net/~penomee/silas.html.  *If* his web
page is up to date, he's currently unemployed?

Old webpage. I'm sure he's employed somewhere -- he's got a really impressive resume (and most people usually hire him based on "Whoa, you wrote Castle Wolfenstein? I loved that game as a kid/teenager!" ;-)
--
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
World's largest electronic gaming project: http://www.MobyGames.com/