That reminds me about "The Immortal" on the PC. *Twice* I played it to the dragon, twice the @#(%@(#*% thing froze on me on that board. I swear I love the mood of that game (simple as it was). I called support and they said "It shouldn't do that". Never got to the end. It'd probably take me an hour to do so, so I should probably try again some day.

On Dec 4, 2003, at 11:26 PM, Hugh Falk wrote:

One of my all-time favorites, Ultima Underworld, had a fatal flaw. I'm
guessing it was hardware specific and not on everyone's PC. After
spending a couple of weeks with the game, some items from my inventory
floated out of my backpack and into the air...with no way to retrieve
them and no way to win at that point. I called up tech support and they
said there were other similar problems reported (although specifics
varied). They sent me a patch, and then played the game to completion.
(After restarting)

Hugh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Leonard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 11:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] Vintage games w/fatal flaws

Chris Newman wrote:

Mines of Titan by Westwood / Infocom from 1989 comes to mind. The game
plot
involves travelling to cities on the surface of Titan. The key city,
Procesnium, was expected to be discovered and entered via an
underground
network. However, if you find the city on the surface of the planet
and
attempt to enter it the game freezes and throws up strange graphics
chunks
in the display window. At the time I assumed I had a bad copy, or
played it
on an incompatable machine (Tandy), etc. I went back to this game, on
and
off, for years but was hit with the same problem. I found out only
recently
that the problem is a coding bug.

From Usenet: "Because of an obvious yet uncorrected bug, the game will
crash
and burn every time you enter Proscenium the normal way from the
overland map.
Instead, you are required to go through a lengthy lava vents dungeon
enter the city. Then the game will give you some text that will leave
you
wondering why the hell the bug wasn't corrected--it would've been so
easy,
given the plot twist revealed in the text." With this knowledge, you
should
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?
http://www.mobygames.com/
Or check out some trippy MindCandy at
http://www.mindcandydvd.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent to you because you are currently subscribed to the swcollect mailing list. To unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of 'unsubscribe swcollect' Archives are available at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/