Along these lines, has anyone MP3'd this yet? I'd like to hear some samples.

Marco Thorek wrote:

IIRC some copy protections try to read if they are loading from a
commercially pressed CD or a burned CD. CDs contain information on who
the manufacturer was, what kind of dye was used, what kind of media it
is, etc.

So this tool here might be helpful to distinguish if what you got is the
real deal:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22912,00.asp

Marco

"C.E. Forman" schrieb:

My initial thoughts on this...

Were the two sealeds on eBay in Q4 2003 from the same seller?  Watch
the ID(s) to see if they list more.

Silver-base CD or green/red/blue (obvious CD-R)?  If there's a back
insert, probably no way to tell w/o cracking the wrap.  Silver doesn't
mean it's not a fake, though, could be someone w/ access to better
burning equipment.

If few were sold, could indicate a lot were unsold (i.e. kept in
storage, still sealed).

Printing on liner notes and disc itself, same as the one you know is
an original?

Not sure I'd be worried at this point, until some of these questions
get answered.  We've had 4 Drashes sold in the last 6 months (3 on
eBay), so they seem to be popping up everywhere as well.  B-)

----- Original Message ----- I too have found another 'sealed' copy of 'Origin Audio CD-Volume 1' (I bought it off of Ebay in Q4 of 2003). I now have two. I also know someone else (Ben Lesnick) who got a 'sealed' copy as well (he got it from Ebay in Q4 of 2003). I also saw someone else who has one from a few years ago (Lancelot Du Lake). They seem to now be popping up everywhere...perhaps I'm paranoid, but C.E. has taught us all to be 'ever vigilant'.

    Could these be forgeries, or was there a box of them
    uncovered recently?  We need to find out.  I know that my
    original copy is probably real, but I never checked it
    closely against the shrinkwrapped one.  I will compare them
    this week, and give you all a report.  I'll also try to
    review my emails from that period, and find out who I bought
    it from.  This could be the first 'Origin Forgery', or the
    luckiest day in Pedro's LIFE!  Like I said, I'm probably
    wrong, but I think we have enough knowledge and resources to
    find out.

    "...Preserving Worlds..."
    Joe Garrity
    Curator of The Origin Museum