Ryan,

OK, I understand.

I once had a problem similar to yours --- I wanted to embed news article
texts (updated minute-by-minute basis) into my swf. Of course I could not
predict which glyphs being used in the articles. Additionally I wanted to
minimize the size of my swf file. Therefore I wanted to avoid embedding
tons of glyphs unused by the articles. The MSGOTHIC font contains, say,
nearly 3000 glyphs; I found a news article uses at most 300. I thought I
should not embed unused 3000 - 300 = 2700 glyphs.

How could I achieve it? --- dynamically perform swf-byte-code engineering
on server-side using the swfmill and mtasc ( http://www.mtasc.org/ )
together. I will tell you how my server-side app called "LiveFlip" works:
my batch processing is invoked timer-driven; once invoked, my batch gets
most recent news articles from the source; my batch enumerates glyphs used
in the articles and dynamically generates XML which is passed to swfmill to
generate a basement swf which contains sufficient font resources; my batch
converts the article into JSON format and let mtasc compile, mtasc
dynamically swaps the stub data class byte-code with the JSON-generated
concrete one; finally I get a swf file with most recent news article text;
The swf is embedded with glyphs used by the articles; glyphs unused by the
articles are not embedded in the swf file, Hence the size of the swf
becomes minimal.

I presume you want the swf on client-side talk to the data resource on the
fly; then my story would not help you much. Your swf need to have all the
glyphs embedded and inevitably would become large.

Thanks,

MATSUHASHI, kazuaki

             Ryan
             Nowakowski
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              宛先
             ttuba.com>           swfmill@osflash.org
             送信者:                                                    cc
             swfmill-bou
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              件名
             h.org                Re: [swfmill] Large font embedding
                                  memory issue

             2008/03/13
             23:39

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

             lash.org へ
             返信してく
               ださい

The problem is that the textfields are populated using dynamic data
at runtime.  I can't predict what characters will be used.  That's why I
need to embed the whole font.

- Ryan

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:02:09AM +0900, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> I am new to this issue, and have made no progress on it, sorry.
>
> In fact I use the swfmill heavily for embedding Japanese glyphs from the
> large MSGOTHIC font. But I never use swfmill for embeding ALL glyphs. I
> explicitly specify which glyphs I want to. See the following exmaple,
> espacially
> part. If you enumerate the glyphs to embed, the swfmill runs fast enough.
>
> <movie width="300" height="100" framerate="12">
>     <background color="#FFFF00"/>
>     <frame>
>         <!-- import the numerical characters of vera.ttf -->
> glyphs="?$B%/$$012"/>
>         <textfield id="kuikui" width="270" height="100" size="60"
> font="MSGOTHIC" text="?$B%/$$012"/>
>         <place id="kuikui" name="output" depth="10"/>
>     </frame>
> </movie>
>
> If I need a swf with ALL the glyphs of a font embeded, I would use Adobe
> Flash IDE rather than swfmill. Make a new fla; create a TextField which
is
> capable of displaying any chars dynamically set; specify the font name
you
> want (do not specify DEVICE FONT!); then publish it. The swf produced
will
> have all the glyphs and will be ridiculously big. But is it really what
you
> want? Curious.
>

> Thanks,
>
> MATSUHASHI, kazuaki