> On Oct 11, 2016, at 10:33 AM, Andrew Trick <atr...@apple.com> wrote:

>>> We would have to make sure SROA+mem2reg could still kick in. If that
>>> happens, I don’t think we need to worry about inout ownership semantics
>>> anymore. A struct_extract is then essentially a borrow. It’s parent’s
>>> lifetime needs to be guaranteed, but I don’t know if the subobject needs
>>> explicit scoping in SIL since there’s no inout scopes to worry about and
>>> nothing for the runtime to do when the scope ends .
>>>
>>> (Incidentally, this would never happen to a CoW type that has a uniqueness
>>> check—to mutate a CoW type, it’s value needs to be in memory).
>>
>> Does a uniqueness check still need to be associated with a memory location
>> once we associate ownership with SSA values? It seems to me like it wouldn't
>> necessarily need to be. One thing I'd like us to work toward is being able
>> to reliably apply uniqueness checks to rvalues, so that code in a "pure
>> functional" style gets the same optimization benefits as code that
>> explicitly uses inouts.
>>
>> -Joe
>
> We could have an is_unique instruction that returns a “new” reference to
> storage. But our model for CoW data types relies mutating methods so I don't
> really know what you have in mind.

It doesn't fundamentally have to be tied to mutating methods. After all, you
ought to be able to take a value parameter you received as uniquely-referenced,
and work on that in-place:

func appendTwoArrays(a: [Int], b: [Int]) -> [Int] {
  var a2 = __move__ a // fake syntax to force a move of ownership
  if isUniquelyReferenced(&a2) {
    a2.buffer._appendInPlace(b.buffer)
  } else {
    a2.buffer = Array(buffer: ArrayBuffer(appending: a2.buffer, and: b.buffer)
  }
  return a2
}

-Joe