> On Apr 20, 2017, at 18:25, Michael Ilseman <milse...@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 20, 2017, at 4:55 PM, Jordan Rose via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org
>> <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> TLDR: Should we just always import C/ObjC types under their Swift 4 names,
>> and use typealiases in Swift 3 mode?
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Hi, swift-dev. As my recent PRs have probably indicated, I've been working
>> on the problems that can come up when mixing Swift 3 and Swift 4 code. Most
>> of these problems have to do with C/ObjC APIs that might present themselves
>> differently in Swift 3 and Swift 4, using the "API notes" feature in our
>> downstream branch of Clang, and a good subset of these problems have to do
>> with types getting renamed. (This includes being "renamed" into a member,
>> such as NSNotificationName becoming (NS)Notification.Name in Swift.)
>>
>> What's the problem? Well, there are a few. First of all, an API defined in
>> terms of the Swift 3 name should still be callable in Swift 4. As an
>> example, let's pretend NSNotification.Name was going to be renamed
>> NSNotification.Identifier in Swift 4.
>>
>> // Swift 3 library
>> public func postTestNotification(named name: NSNotification.Name) { … }
>>
>> // Swift 4 app
>> let id: Notification.Identifier = …
>> postTestNotification(named: id) // should work
>>
>> This means the reference to "NSNotification.Name" in the library's
>> swiftmodule needs to still be resolvable. This isn't too bad if we leave
>> behind a typealias for 'NSNotification.Name'. I have a reasonable (but too
>> broad) implementation at https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/8737
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/8737>.
>>
>> That just leads us to another problem, though: because Swift functions can
>> be overloaded, the symbol name includes the type, and the type has changed.
>> The Swift 3 library exposes a symbol
>> '_T03Lib20postTestNotificationySo14NSNotificationC4NameV5named_tF', but the
>> Swift 4 client expects
>> '_T03Lib20postTestNotificationySo14NSNotificationC10IdentifierV5named_tF'.
>>
>> My planned approach to combat this was to use the C name of the type in the
>> mangling, producing
>> '_T03Lib20postTestNotificationySo18NSNotificationNamea5named_tF'. This is
>> prototyped in https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/8871
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/8871>.
>>

>> At this point Slava pointed out I was chasing down a lot of issues when
>> there's a much simpler solution for Swift 4: when importing types, always
>> use the Swift 4 name, and use typealiases to handle Swift 3 compatibility.
>> This defines both of the previous issues away, as well as any more that I
>> just haven't thought of yet.
>>
>> There are some downsides:
>> - We currently keep people from using Swift 4 names in Swift 3 code, and we
>> wouldn't be able to do that, since the actual declaration of the type always
>> needs to be available.

> [...]

I suspect we'll end up doing my appended follow-up for this: "mangle me as if
my name were ___". That doesn't cover everything the importer does, though
(turning enums into structs, swift_wrapper, import-as-member, etc).

I also hope we just don't have to deal with name changes very often in
Swift-land.

Jordan