> On Sep 21, 2017, at 1:26 PM, Saleem Abdulrasool <compn...@compnerd.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Joe Groff <jgr...@apple.com
> <mailto:jgr...@apple.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 11:49 AM, Saleem Abdulrasool <compn...@compnerd.org
>> <mailto:compn...@compnerd.org>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Joe Groff <jgr...@apple.com
>> <mailto:jgr...@apple.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 9:32 AM, Saleem Abdulrasool via swift-dev
>>> <swift-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-dev@swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The current layout for the swift metadata for structure types, as emitted,
>>> seems to be unrepresentable in PE/COFF (at least for x86_64).  There is a
>>> partial listing of the generated code following the message for reference.
>>>
>>> When building the standard library, LLVM encounters a relocation which
>>> cannot be represented.  Tracking down the relocation led to the type
>>> metadata for SwiftNSOperatingSystemVersion.  The metadata here is
>>> _T0SC30_SwiftNSOperatingSystemVersionVN.  At +32-bytes we find the Kind
>>> (1).  So, this is a struct metadata type.  Thus at Offset 1 (+40 bytes) we
>>> have the nominal type descriptor reference.  This is the relocation which
>>> we fail to represent correctly.  If I'm not mistaken, it seems that the
>>> field is supposed to be a relative offset to the nominal type descriptor.
>>> However, currently, the nominal type descriptor is emitted in a different
>>> section (.rodata) as opposed to the type descriptor (.data).  This
>>> cross-section relocation cannot be represented in the file format.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that the type metadata will be adjusted during the load
>>> for the field offsets.  Furthermore, my guess is that the relative offset
>>> is used to encode the location to avoid a relocation for the load address
>>> base.  In the case of windows, the based relocations are a given, and I'm
>>> not sure if there is a better approach to be taken.  There are a couple of
>>> solutions which immediately spring to mind: moving the nominal type
>>> descriptor into the (RW) data segment and the other is to adjust the ABI to
>>> use an absolute relocation which would be rebased.  Given that the type
>>> metadata may be adjusted means that we cannot emit it into the RO data
>>> segment.  Is there another solution that I am overlooking which may be
>>> simpler or better?
>>
>> IIRC, this came up when someone was trying to port Swift to Windows on ARM
>> as well, and they were able to conditionalize the code so that we used
>> absolute pointers on Windows/ARM, and we may have to do the same on Windows
>> in general. It may be somewhat more complicated on Win64 since we generally
>> assume that relative references can be 32-bit, whereas an absolute reference
>> will be 64-bit, so some formats may have to change layout to make this work
>> too. I believe Windows' executable loader still ultimately maps the final PE
>> image contiguously, so alternatively, you could conceivably build a Swift
> [...]

Hm, well, image-base-relative would at least be relatively easy to interpret by
out-of-process tools looking at the image on disk, and could conceivably still
work in-process too, though you'd have to call GetModuleHandleEx to derive the
image base for an arbitrary metadata structure mapped into memory. I wonder how
bad that'd be in practice, since the relative-addressed things are generally
not intended to be on any fast paths for compiler-generated code.

-Joe