> On 24 Oct 2017, at 18:19, Ron Olson <tachokni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex-
>
> Thanks for the info, but this isn't in a Docker container, just a regular
> Linux VM.

Ah, sorry - my bad. I saw Docker in the message with the problem and didn't see
the 'not' ;-)

> As an additional bit of info, I ran the build script on my Fedora laptop, and
> it works just fine; the REPL starts right up. I'd be surprised and confused
> if this was truly a VM (in this case, VMware ESXi) issue, but stranger things
> have happened I guess.

You can also see this issue if your VM/OS is running under something like
selinux or apparmor. You'd have to look into what OS your VM is running to
confirm (and compare it with the configuration you have on your laptop).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SELinuxDenyPtrace
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SELinuxDenyPtrace>
http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/AppArmor_Core_Policy_Reference
<http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/AppArmor_Core_Policy_Reference>

I would have a look to see if either of these settings are denying the PTrace
mechanism, which is similar in effect to Docker's runtime options but
configured in a slightly different way.

Alex