> On Dec 19, 2017, at 9:39 PM, Ted Kremenek via swift-dev <swift-dev@swift.org>
> wrote:
>

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 8:57 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgre...@apple.com
> <mailto:dgre...@apple.com>> wrote:
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2017, at 8:31 PM, Ted Kremenek <kreme...@apple.com
>> <mailto:kreme...@apple.com>> wrote:

>>> Hmm.  I’m concerned that a warning runtime would be to settle. Many people
>>> would possibly not even notice it.  It’s essentially an edge case in a
>>> feature that isn’t fully implemented and thus that part of the feature
>>> should not be used yet.
>>>
>>> What do you think about making this a hard runtime error instead, similar
>>> to how we are approaching runtime issues for exclusivity checking?  That
>>> would be impossible to miss and would convey the optics that this runtime
>>> aspect of the feature is not yet supported and thus should not be used.
>>
>> I’d rather not make it a runtime error, because code that’s doing dynamic
>> casting to a protocol is generally already handling the “nil” case (“as?”
>> syntax), so aborting the program feels far too strong.
>>
>>   - Doug
>
> For me I think the part I’m struggling with is that making it a warning
> conflates two things together: expected failure in the dynamic cast because
> the value you are casting doesn’t have that type or — in this case — failure
> because the cast can never succeed because it is not supported yet.  I feel
> like we would be silently swallowing an unsupported condition.  If that
> didn’t matter, why bother issuing a warning?  Clearly were trying to send
> some kind of message here about this not being supported.

Doug and I chatted a bit offline.

I’m now more on the side of thinking a warning is a reasonable approach.  I’m
still concerned that it will be unnoticed by some developers, and I am mixed on
conflating failure the cast of “this doesn’t work at all for this specific type
because it has a conditional conformance” versus “this didn’t work because the
type didn’t conform to the protocol”.  That said, I think the cases impacted
here are likely very, very small — and a crash in the program is probably
excessive.