As much fun as it to example with foo, I would argue the opposite when you use
some real world variable names:

if let someInterestingViewConroller = someInterestingViewConroller {
}

vs

If let someInterestingViewConroller {
}

We know what let does and it should be enough to impart the necessary
information for this statement.

When it comes to newcomers I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who'd
be able to understand either form without teaching; so not losing much there.