>> I did see that point made earlier in the thread, but I’m not convinced that
>> design for googleability is the right ordering of priorities.
> +1
> Choosing cryptic names because it's easier to find information about them is
> bad. With this argument, you can not only fight against removal of the
> NextStep prefix (Data, Number, Date… try googling that), but also demand that
> the language should be spelled "Sweeft", and that framework functions should
> loose their meaningful names and get called by a UUID instead.

I don't think the `associated` keyword is cryptic; I think it's *specific*.
"Associated type" is the name of this feature. We tried bikeshedding it
upthread, and didn't come up with anything better. If you're going to use a
keyword related to the name "associated type", that leaves you with
`associated`, `type`, or `associatedtype`. Of these three, `type` is extremely
vague (and also something we've resisted taking as a keyword—see the discussion
about `SomeType.self` last week), `associatedtype` is an overlong, awkward
concatenation of two words, and `associated` has neither of those failings.
That's why I favor it.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies