On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:21 PM, John McCall <rjmcc...@apple.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 14, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> We currently accept function type syntax without parentheses, like:

> To me, the unparenthesized style suggests that the input and output are
> peers, which feels more natural for the sort of value-to-value
> transform/predicate where this most commonly occurs.  Parenthesizing the
> input feels fussier, which contributes to a sense that the argument is just
> one component to producing the result.
> The parentheses are grammatically unnecessary in most cases (by frequency of
> use in higher-use programming, not by feature count).

I agree with your point that many simple higher order programming examples
(e.g. map, filter, etc) take a single argument.  That said, I don’t agree that
this means that we should syntactically privilege this special case.  In many
places in the Swift grammar we aim for consistency, even if it means a bit more
punctuation in specific cases.

> Our grammar generally allows grammatically-unnecessary parentheses to be
> omitted (except the C-style for loop, until we killed it) — I guess you could
> count function call syntax, but we had strong reasons there that don't seem
> to apply here.  We notably chose to deviate from C statement grammar
> specifically to allow unnecessary parentheses to be omitted.  This would feel
> weirdly inconsistent with that.

We allow parens to be omitted from control flow expressions, where they are
redundant with paren exprs.  I don’t see how that translates to our type
grammar.

> I guess the flip side is that call and declaration syntax both require
> parentheses (unless the only argument is a trailing closure), but again, we
> had strong justifications for that: declarations would always be ambiguous
> without parens, and calls would have serious problems (and the style-wars
> factor would be much larger, especially now with mandatory keyword arguments
> by default).

Right, but regardless of *why* we always require parens on Decls and
ApplyExprs, we really do (and that isn’t going to change).  Being consistent
between func decls and function types is quite important IMO.

-Chris