Sent from my iPad

> On May 26, 2016, at 8:25 AM, Thorsten Seitz <tseit...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Ceylon requires checks whether cases are disjoint, i.e. when one case
> contains a superclass of another case then this will be a type error „cases
> are not disjoint“.
>
> FWIW: Ceylon requires classes with enumerated subclasses to be abstract.

Interesting, thanks for mentioning this.  The abstract requirement is what
makes disjointedness at least partly possible (what if a subclass has further
descendants though?).  But it still only works for a single level of
inheritance:

sealed abstract class A {}
class B : A {}
class C : A {}
class D : B {}
class E : B {}

With a disjoint requirement I cannot ever match D and E because that would not
be exhaustive and I am prohibited from matching them along side B which would
be exhaustive but isn't disjoint.

I don't think that solution is appropriate to Swift.