> On Jun 11, 2016, at 8:46 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon <br...@architechies.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> That's certainly a valid question.  I have been very vocally skeptical
>>> that HKTs like Monad belong in the standard library, but I am not
>>> opposed to having the language feature if it supports important use
>>> cases.
>>
>> It is surprising to see people debating the place of monads in Swift when
>> nobody seems to speak about the elephant in the middle of the room: the
>> language has a real engineering defisciency if it is possible for people to
>> think that there is no better way to use it than to do   "we have around 50+
>> packages. This list grows very fast" (http://docs.zewo.io - many more swift
>> github projects are equally struggling to get the code organized).
>> At the moment the only thing preventing the situation from getting more out
>> of hands is that the import mechanism currently gets in the way, but the
>> only opinions I read so far all focussed on making it even easier to slap
>> things together ala zewo rather than address the engineering issue.
>
> It would be helpful if you could do two things:
>
> 1. Be clear about exactly what you think is wrong and, preferably, how you
> think we might be able to solve it, or at least what sorts of problems you
> want the solution to address. Reading this post, I'm not sure what you find
> objectionable about this project containing 50 packages or what "situation"
> you think is getting out of hand. Even if you have a good point, you're not
> making it very well.

I am assuming that you have been doing professional software development for a
long time, worked with 10s of developers in dozens of teams, using objc, swift,
and many more languages. I think it is safe to assume you spent a great deal of
time reading the compiler (and llvm's) source code since it became open source,
and considering how regularly you refer to what others need or use, I also took
for granted that you have read the code for a great deal of open-source
projects in all sorts of languages. Having assumed this as your background, you
might appreciate why I thought we might be able to skip of few steps.

> 2. Post about your issue in a new thread rather than trying to derail
> something *entirely* unrelated to it. I'm not sure exactly what your
> complaint is, but I gather it has something to do with package management,
> modules, or imports. None of these have anything to do with higher-kinded
> types, the type system, or (as far as I can tell) anything that has ever been
> discussed in this thread. The result is rather like interrupting a charity
> drive for the local children's hospital to tell people that actually, they
> really *ought* to be donating to your mosquito-net charity instead. Even if
> you're correct that your cause is more important, it's inappropriate,
> unwelcome, and frankly just rude.

I can appreciate your view. And maybe you can equally appreciate how plain
surreal parts of this thread and a few others might appear when put in
perspective with some of what I, undoubtedly
wrongly, perceive as elephants in the room.