> On Jul 3, 2016, at 11:50 PM, Tino Heth via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> Overall, -1.
>
> I agree that labels should not affect the type, but imho the current status
> (Swift 2.3 — I haven't checked Version 3) is fine, and the proposal doesn't
> achieve what it says in the title:
> For me, that is no question of types at all, but only of names:
>
> var a: (Int, z: Int) -> Void = t
> var b: (y: Int, z: Int) -> Void = t
>
> a = b
>
> This works, because a and b are both of type (Int, Int) -> Void, and the
> labels aren't significant.

The point of the behavior is to remove the subtyping relationships from the
type system which make the above work, which is a very real change.

> So the proposal merely disallows labels in the declaration of function
> variables, which I consider bad, because labels convey the meaning of
> parameters. Why should something that is widely seen as a good feature of
> functions be removed from function variables?

As has been discussed exhaustively in this thread, Swift 3 function labels
don't convey the meaning of parameters, they are almost always prepositional
phrases that don't make sense apart from the primary function name they are
attached to.