> On 02 Sep 2016, at 22:34, Tony Parker via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

> I would instead prefer to look at what we can do with adding API to the
> existing types to cover this use case. You point out in the proposal that it
> has become customary to use [UInt8] in API. I would prefer that we work
> towards a solution that makes it customary to use Data when you want to
> expose an API that uses Data.

I support that sentiment. We should stick with existing solutions and not
dilute them without reason.

Having said that, my personal experience with NSData is pretty bad. It never
really fits my needs unless I am dealing with amorphous data that stay’s
amorphous.
As soon as I need to figure out what is in the data, the code gets ugly fast
and needs extensive commenting to stay maintainable (and we all know what
happens with comments…)

I think Andy is right, and we need to differentiate between byte access and
amorphous data blocks.

A minor point: many programmers new to the platform will know what to do with
pointers, Data on the other hand is too much of an abstraction to grasp
intuitively.

And a minor-minor point: Personally I hate the “Unsafe” part in the name. Seems
a bit pedantic to me. I do not need subjective judgements in a language. (Is
there really a SW-engineer out there that does not know about the inherent
dangers of direct memory access?, does “unsafe” really add value to the
language?)

Rien.