> On Oct 20, 2016, at 12:37 AM, Russ Bishop via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 19, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution
>>
>> I was in the middle of writing about my opposition to the original proposal
>> when I went to bed last night, and was going to advocate something like this:
>>
>>> Given the current state of the discussion over in Unicode land, I think it
>>> would probably be safe from a compatibility standpoint to admit code points
>>> that fall into the following (Unicode-style) code point set:
>>>
>>> [:S:] - [:Sc:] - [:xidcontinue:] - [:nfcqc=n:] & [:scx=Common:] -
>>> pictographics - emoji
>>
>> I suspect we can probably also do something about emoji, since I doubt UAX
>> #31 is going to. Given that they are all static pictures of people or
>> things, I think we can decide they are all nouns and thus all identifier
>> characters. If we think there are some which might be declared operators
>> later, we can exclude them for now, but I'd like to at least see the bulk of
>> them brought in.
>>
>> I think addressing emoji is important not for any technical reason, but for
>> nontechnical ones. Emoji are a statement about Swift's modern approach;
>> modernity is important. They are fun and whimsical; whimsy is important.
>>
>> And most importantly, emoji identifiers are part of Swift's culture. It's
>> widely understood that you don't use them in real code, but they are very
>> common in examples. Just as we worry about source compatibility and binary
>> compatibility, so we should worry about culture compatibility. Removing
>> emoji would cause a gratuitous cultural regression.
>>

> I fully agree. It’s hella presumptuous to decide that I’m not allowed to
> express whimsy, frustration, humor, or any other emotions in my code. Or to
> tell an 8 year old using Playgrounds on the iPad that he/she can’t name a
> variable 🐷 purely because they find it funny. We don’t have to squash the joy
> out of everything.
>

> Russ

The problem isn't whimsy so much as it's selecting the right set. If you can
point to a standard (or create one) that provides a good set, which does not
introduce the issues described in the proposal, that would be a great starting
step for adapting the proposed approach. The same goes for the mathematical
operators.

-- E