Ah... we will be missing hiding behind the warm embrace of message
passing/dynamic dispatch :P

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>
> func ==(lhs: Sub, rhs: Sub) -> Bool {
>     print("Sub")
>     return false
> }
>
> let a = Sub()
> let b = Sub()
> a == b // Sub
> a as Super == b // Super
> a == b as Super // Super
> à as Super == b as Super // Super
> ```
>
> One would compare the same objects and don't get the same result.
>
> Instead you have to check the dynamic type yourself.
>

> Pierre
>
>> Le 20 janv. 2017 à 10:45, Francisco Javier Fernández Toro via
>> swift-evolution <swift-evolution@swift.org> a écrit :
>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Tony Allevato <tony.allev...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> Ok, this actually does feel a bit strange. The behavior you're seeing seems
>>> to be a consequence of
>>> [SE-0091](https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0091-improving-operators-in-protocols.md),
>>>  but it looks like you're seeing different behavior than what I described
>>> in the "Class types and inheritance" section of that proposal.
>>>
>>> If Sub has `==(Sub, Sub)` implemented as a *static* function, I just tried
>>> it and it's *ignored* (`==(Super, Super)` gets called instead), even when
>>> the two actual arguments are known to be statically of type Sub. I think
>>> this is because of the way that proposal was implemented: when it sees that
>>> `Sub` extends `Super`, which conforms to `Equatable`, it appears that it's
>>> only looking for static overloads of `==` that are satisfied at the *point
>>> of conformance*, which would be `==(Super, Super)` (because `Super`
>>> conforms to `Equatable where Self == Super`). The wording of the proposal
>>> makes this case: "Then, we say that we do not consider an operator function
>>> if it implements a protocol requirement, because the requirement is a
>>> generalization of all of the operator functions that satisfy that
>>> requirement."
>>>
>>> Contrarily, if you provide `==(Sub, Sub)` as a global function instead of a
>>> static one, it *does* get called. I think in this case, the type checker
>>> gets the whole set of candidate operators (which, unlike above, includes
>>> the global `==(Sub, Sub)`), and it gets used because it's a more specific
>>> match?
>>>

>> FWIW, I've just changed both `==` functions to make them global, the the
>> outcome is still the same, its using `==(Super,Super)` to resolve
>> `!=(Sub,Sub)
>>
>>> Can someone from the core team chime in and say whether this is intentional
>>> behavior? It feels wrong that simply changing the location where the
>>> operator is defined would change the behavior like this.
>>>
>>> FWIW, to avoid these sharp edges, there's no need to implement `==` for
>>> subtypes; since you have to use an overridable `equals` method anyway, just
>>> have the base type implement `==` to delegate to it, and then have subtypes

  • [swift-evolution] Met... Francisco Javier Fernández Toro via swift-evolution
    • Re: [swift-evolu... Joe Groff via swift-evolution
      • Re: [swift-e... Francisco Javier Fernández Toro via swift-evolution
        • Re: [swi... Tony Allevato via swift-evolution
          • Re: ... Francisco Javier Fernández Toro via swift-evolution
            • ... Tony Allevato via swift-evolution
              • ... Francisco Javier Fernández Toro via swift-evolution
                • ... Pierre Monod-Broca via swift-evolution
                • ... Goffredo Marocchi via swift-evolution
                • ... Karl Wagner via swift-evolution
                • ... Pierre Monod-Broca via swift-evolution