> On Mar 20, 2017, at 9:33 PM, Greg Parker via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 20, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgre...@apple.com
>> <mailto:dgre...@apple.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Swift community,
>>
>> The review of SE-0159 "Fix Private Access Levels" begins now and runs
>> through March 27, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>>
>> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md
>>
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0159-fix-private-access-levels.md>
> -1. I yield the remainder of my time to Drew Crawford who satisfactorily
> explained my concerns.

I’ll second the -1 and the reference to Drew’s post, with the added comment
that the concern with extensions could be easily solved simply by giving
extensions access to private members of the extended type as long as those
extensions are in the same module/submodule (or file, if you prefer, but I
don’t). This would probably eliminate almost all of the use cases for
fileprivate, as well as freeing us from the sometimes clumsy situation where
we’re rather artificially forced to use files as a scope, instead enabling us
to organize code into files as is appropriate for the project.

Charles