Sent from my iPhone

>>> I'm a -1 for several reasons, mostly subjective but still. First thing is
>>> that I'm generally not comfortable with encouraging the use of multi-line
>>> strings at all. These are things that usually should be templated or
>>> localised, and personally I don't see what's inconvenient about
>>> concatenating on those occasions where you can't (or just don't want to);
>>> I'm actually of the opinion that this is the kind of thing that should be
>>> awkward and annoying, to encourage developers to think about what they're
>>> doing.
>>
>> IMHO, there are plenty of uses for multi-line strings that are entire valid
>> and acceptable. SQL queries is the example I encounter the most in my
>> day-to-day work. And concatenating makes working with them very cumbersome.
>
> Maybe, but with SQL I long moved on to using placeholders for variables,
> which makes most statements fairly compact. And in fact these days I almost
> entirely use stored procedures, so most SQL statements I work with are just
> enough to call a procedure.

I use placeholders, but there's no way a 4-5 join query fits on a line even
then. And those can become fairly common quickly.

> Even so, while that may be an argument for the need for multi-line strings
> it's a use case that would still be better handled by continuation quotes
> IMO, but again, they don't offer so much added convenience over concatenation
> to really be worth it.

Why would it be a use case for continuation quotes instead of multi-line
strings? I don't follow.

> Also, just wanted to add, but those arguing against continuation quotes on
> the basis of pasting into Swift; you already can paste into Swift using
> regular double quotes

I don't understand. If I paste a multi line SQL query between double quotes in
Swift, the resulting codes does not compile.