All -

I am not in favor of this change.  While I agree that the implementation of
fileprivate and open as well as the changes to private had some unintended
by-products, they can easily be accommodated.  Sometimes the language by its
nature dictates style.  I say at this point, we all just need to deal with it
and move on.  We have bigger and more impactful language features to fry.

IMHO the changes in this proposal create a host of complications in the
understanding of what can already be a hard to understand topic.  We are
greatly increasing the surface area of what must be learned in order to
completely grok private and fileprivate.  This added complexity does not
justify what I feel are just cosmetic improvements to suit a particular coding
style.

Changes such as this to suit a particular coding style, need to be avoided or
we risk losing focus on the definition and implementation of more critical
changes.

I don’t comment on many proposals, but this one stood out as antithetical to
the stated goals of the Swift evolution.

Regards, Michael