It recently occurred to me how nice it would be to be if we could avoid
declaring variables outside of loops that are only used inside them. I used
google’s site specific search (is that the canon way to search swift-evo?) and
only found one thread about this,
(https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160718/024657.html

<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160718/024657.html>)
 where from what I could see it got a positive reception.

It would be a special case though, and within an unrelated thread I saw this
suggestion
(https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001201.html

<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001201.html>)
 of letting you write a variable declaration in between the repeat keyword and
the opening bracket. Personally I prefer this syntax.

Regardless, I’m wondering what happened to this thread? Is there a reason it
didn’t get proposed? If the answer is that the discussion simply died down it
may be worth revisiting it.

Sent from my Mac