Sending out again to the whole mailing list ;-)

There are a lot of great changes here which make sense after the fact. I'll try
to play around with them.

One thing I'm concerned about: with the new Optional conformance, why do we
still need decodeIfPresent and encodeIfPresent? They seem superfluous now, and
potentially confusing. Should users call encodeIfPresent/decodeIfPresent or
encode/decode with an optional type? Do the have the same semantics?