> Yeah but it seems clear from the return type so I am not sure that much
> confusion would really exist.

Afaics, there already is lots of confusion — that’s the reason for me to write
a sequence of posts in this topic, instead of an Optional ;-)
The word „flatten“ is a quite honest description, so I wonder why words like
filter, remove, ignoring or skipping should be used instead.

„Compact“ would be less irritating, but I could imagine that it indicates
something like eliminating repeated occurrences.

Tino

(I’m quite close to attach a hand-drawn illustration of the flatMap process — I
don’t think you want that to happen ;-)